- Who is in the race?
- What is the race?
- How do we run this race?
- What is the prize?
- Why do we need to run the race; do we have a choice?
- What are the obstacles?
- How do we overcome the obstacles; how can we be victorious
Who is in the Race?
Every Believer, every Born Again Christian has been placed in the race by our Lord Jesus Christ. When we receive Jesus as our personal Lord and Saviour we become children of Almighty God and we are entered into the ‘race’
“But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God…”
John 1 verse 12
“…and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us…”
Hebrews 12 verse 1
What is the Race?
As believers we are all running a race, a race to live a victorious Christian life.
The bible commands us to be Holy even as He is Holy… (1 Peter 1:16)
We are expected to be light in this dark and perverse world… (Philippians 2:15)
We are the only bible that many people have to read… (2 Corinthians 3:2)
We are to witness to others; we can only do this effectively if we ourselves are living victorious lives.
We are to follow in the steps of our Saviour, Jesus ran His own race, He went to the cross, our own race is to showcase His goodness to those around us.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.”
Hebrews 12 verse 1-2
How do we run this Race?
We cannot run the race in our own strength, the bible tells us that without Jesus we can do nothing, so we need to depend on Him
There are rules and regulations guiding the race we are involved in and these are found in the Word of God.
“An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.”
2 Corinthians 2 verse 5
Some of the instructions are:
- We must be Holy
- We must be examples of the believer
- We must keep our eyes on Jesus
- We should not habitually sin
- We must be malleable and flexible in God’s hands (Living sacrifice)
What is the Prize?
The prizes that we are competing for are crowns in heaven, commendation from Our Father and from Jesus (well done my good and faithful servant… Matthew 25:23)
“Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.”
1 Corinthians 9 verse 25
Why do we need to run this race; do we have a choice?
Jesus Himself has placed us in this race and just like He did the will of His Father while on earth we are required to do the will of our Saviour
But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
John 5 verse 36
I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
John 9 verse 4
There are so many people and beings watching us that it is imperative that we run a successful race and glorify our Saviour. We don’t have a choice, we are in the race and we must endeavour to run it victoriously.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12 verse 1- 2
What obstacles do we face as we run this race?
- Our Flesh – we need to put our flesh under
- Detractors – People who want us to take our eyes off the ball
- Enemies – Satan and his cohorts
- The cares of this world
How can we overcome the obstacles, how can we be victorious?
- By drawing near to God (James 4:8)
- By spending time in prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
- By spending quality time reading and studying the Word of God
- (2 Timothy 2:15; Acts 17:11)
- By spending time in praise and worship (Psalm 34:1)
- By spending time waiting on the Lord i.e. fasting (Matthew 17:21)
- By spending time fellowshipping with other believers in a full-gospel church (Hebrews10:25)
- By surrendering to the will and purpose of God for our lives (Psalm 40:8)
- By disconnecting from people who hinder our walk with God (Psalm 1:1-2)
- By having a heavenly focus (Matthew 6:33)
May we all be winners in Jesus Mighty Name!
You are the best🙂 LolaA